Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I Have Discovered I'm Weird

Today I realized that I don't write like any writer/author/journalist that I have read.  In more ways than one.  Of course, we all know that each author has his or her own voice, so that makes them different.  However, I have discovered that I'm "weird". Why? Let me explain.

In each and every book that I have read about the craft of writing (and I've read a lot) they tell you to do certain things to build a novel.  First of all, they tell you to build an outline of your plot and characters.  I hate outlines.  I have never used them (except in school, when I had to) and I'm pretty sure that I will never use them.  Ever.  I'm just not a detailed person in that sense.  So, you may ask, how do I get through writing my novels?  It's all in my head.  I can't really explain it all that well, but usually it's just that I know where I want to start and I know where I want to end, and anything that happens in between is in the hands of my characters.  I let them lead the story.  I know my characters and their backgrounds, but I just open up my mind and let the story unfold.  God guides my thoughts and my hands as they type.  I guess it just comes easier to me than to some other people.  I never understood why anyone would think that writing a novel is all that hard, because to me it isn't.  I just sit down and let the story spill out.  Is that bad? I don't think so.  I just think that each and every writer has their own technique of developing a story.  Mine is just different.  And that, folks, is why some people would call me weird.  Are you weird too? If so, I would love to talk to you. :)

SO...

Quote of the Week:
"I never set our to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird."
                                                                                   - Frank Zappa

Fun Fact of the Week:
The King of Hearts is the only card king without a mustache.

Story Starter of the Week:
Janie has been kidnapped by a serial killer.  How does she get out of it?  Or does she get out of it at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment