Monday, January 16, 2012

Be Different!!!

This week’s thought: be different. 
That’s right, folks, I said different.  Distinctive.  Peculiar.  Weird.  How do you know what kind of “different” is good?  That’s entirely up to you.
In my life, I find that I am different from my family.  As a writer, I tend to think a bit eccentrically.  On the other hand, my family thinks in what you would call “normal” ways.  How do I know we think differently?  I talk with them.  sure, I can talk with them about shopping and parties and food (I am a girl, after all) but there are times when I can see they don’t get why I’m saying something. 
I’ve seen myself talk about the newest story/book I’m writing.  My face lights up, my hands become an extension of my mouth (hand-talking, for those of you who don’t know what that is), and a giant smile spreads across my face.  My characters are alive in my head.  My family looks at me like I’m crazy when I talk about how to kill someone in my novel or some character that got kidnapped or some relationship on the pages of my book. 
On the other hand, my older sister’s passion is media.  She’s the media director at our church.  When her face lights up, she’s usually talking about a really cool motion background or the newest video clip on the announcement video or how she melded two sound clips together and made it sound amazing.  Half of that stuff, I don’t get at all.  But it’s what makes her happy.  It’s what makes her different. 
You see, everyone is different in their own way.  so, to answer my earlier question: How do you know what kind of different is good?  It’s not by mimicking someone else that you become different.  And it’s not by remodeling yourself into some eccentric character.  Different is about being YOU.  if you stay true to yourself, to your true character, and to the light inside of you, then the world will see you as different.  It’s a personal choice.  It’s a personal obligation.  Keep yourself grounded and humble, and you will be different in a way no one else can be.  that is what being a good different is all about. 

Quote of the Week:
In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.
- Unknown                             

Fun fact of the week:
If you push your fisted hand together, knuckle interlocking with knuckle, for a full minute, you can feel the magnetic pull as you try to pull them apart. 

Story Starter of the Week:
Bob was an invisible man.  It was a tough life, being invisible.  One day, however, all of that changed.

*what to do with these?  The quote of the week and fun fact of the week are for your personal enjoyment.  The story starter of the week is usually a 1-5 line paragraph to get you started on your own story.  Be creative and don't forget to comment it so I can read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment